This morning (well, early afternoon) I was continuing my Spring cleaning/organization project (again, credit to Mary, Kelly Ann, and Caryn for the inspiration). I decided to tackle my baking/recipe cupboard. This is where I keep all of my spices, baking supplies, cookbooks, and the like. As I was cleaning I came across a little plastic baggie full of wheat with a recipe attached to it for Pioneer Pancakes. I remember getting it in Relief Society about 3, 6, 10 months ago or so and since I am easily distracted when it comes to cleaning, I decided to pause my organizational efforts and make these pancakes since we hadn't eaten breakfast yet. I justified it by telling myself that making the pancakes would make it possible for me to throw away the baggie, thus making more space in my cupboard. They actually turned out really good, and I figure they have to be healthy since you make them with wheat, so I am including the recipe here. Hopefully those of you that have a closet full of food storage wheat and don't know what to do with it (speaking from experience) will find this recipe as easy and tasty as I did:
Pioneer Pancakes
Blend together:
1 cup milk
3/4 cup whole wheat
Blend for 4 minutes. Turn blender to low.
Add:
2 eggs
1T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 tsp. soda
2 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. oil
Batter will be runny. Cook on hot griddle (mine worked best at around 300-350 degrees)
And since every good pancake needs some GREAT syrup, here is my favorite syrup recipe (although I didn't make it today, no buttermilk on hand). I think this recipe is from Grandma Hansen, but I am not sure. Maybe mom or one of my dear aunts can tell me for sure.
Buttermilk Syrup
1 c. butter
1 c. buttermilk
2 c. sugar
1/4 c. dark Karo syrup
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. vanilla
Place first 5 ingredients in large sauce pan. (baking soda makes it foam up and tends to boil over, so watch carefully) Simmer on low til sugar dissolves, remove from heat and add vanilla. Serve warm. Also great as ice cream topping
And now, for no reason at all but to have this recipe preserved online and not on a loose piece of paper floating around in my cupboard, is a recipe for Brown Sugar Frosting that is DEFINITELY from Grandma Hansen (I know because I ate tons of this at the last Hansen Family Reunion) and is absolutely delish:
Brown Sugar Frosting
1 1/2 c. brown sugar mixed with 1/4 c. cream or rich milk and 2 T butter
Bring to boil, boil 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and beat until creamy. If too stiff, add cream to right consistency. Add 1 t. vanilla (and I am assuming you mix it again after that!)
Enjoy!
Today was a fairly good food day. I had some more of JJs Caramel Kettle corn for breakfast...oops. Then we had the Pioneer Pancakes, where I tried to go light on the syrup. I would rather have just a little full flavored syrup than a lot of the "light" syrup!
For dinner we went to Bill Johnson's for my mother in law's 60th birthday. I ordered the salmon, which I think is pretty healthy. I had corn, a roll, a salad, and mashed potatoes with it. I wish I hadn't eaten the mashed potatoes. They weren't very good. Nothing really was, actually. The salmon was OK, but only after you put a little melted butter on it, so that kind of defeated the purpose! Oh well, tomorrow is Sunday so I should be able to eat better and then we can get back on track for the weekdays.
Saturday, April 5, 2008
Pioneer Pancakes
Posted by Genny at 8:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Okay, you've got to put that on the recipe blog. Yes, we finally got one going, just haven't announced it yet. So take a peak: www.sugarandspicerecipes.blogspot.com and let me know if you are interested in being a contributor. I was thinking that one of the categories should be something to the nature of healthy (not light, don't want that. :) but you catch my drift, in keeping with the theme of this blog. Food and weight loss go hand in hand, right? :)
The Buttermilk Pancake Syrup was a recipe I got from Norma Cathcart in the Country Gables ward in Phoenix. I love it. I buy a container of buttermilk and then freeze in portions the amount I need for the recipe so I have buttermilk on hand when I make the recipe. The frozen buttermilk seems to work fine. It is a very yummy syrup, but caution to anyone making it - it boils up and over very quickly so make it in a very large pan.
Post a Comment