This may or may not be of any use to anyone, but I thought I would throw some ideas out there. Different things work for different people, these are a couple I've found that help me when I stick to them regularly. The first thing is to eat small, healthy snacks between meals. I'm talking something along the lines of an apple, carrot sticks, some yogurt, anything along those lines. I've found this helps in two ways: my blood sugar stays more level thus lowering the temptation of sweet things and I am not so hungry when mealtime arrives so I am more likely to eat a normal serving instead of overeating.
Another idea: increasing your protein intake compared to your carbohydrate intake will make you feel less need for more food. Protein generally takes longer to digest so you feel full sooner and longer. Your carbs are digested quickly, although higher fiber items take longer than sugars or starches, then the proteins are still there to keep you from needing food right away. (This lesson was learned from my diabetic roommate.) It really does help. Good sources of protein include meat, nuts, beans, and most dairy products, amongst other things.
I did get about twenty minutes of exercising on my exercise ball today. We had snow this morning so I couldn't get out for a walk. :-( However, I'm afraid I had several peanut butter cups to counteract all the good I got out of exercising. (They were just sitting there on the table, taunting me, what could I do?)
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Things to Think About
Posted by Meg at 3:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
You're right; different things work for different people. I've tried dry-roasted almonds, cashews, string cheese, yogurt, sliced apples with peanut butter, tortilla with cheese, etc, to snack on throughout the day. The problem is, nuts are too expensive to keep on hand regularly. Meat is also too expensive, so I don't even try to venture into exploring those options; we have our meat at dinner, usually. But still, I feel this "desperate" feeling so often. I try to keep my blood sugars level throughout the day with string cheese, bananas, apples, carrots, etc., but also with other things I oughtn't, like Tootsie Rolls that are in abundance now thanks to the party this weekend (I'm a snacker big time). It makes me wonder if my thyroid levels are screwy again, except I just took blood tests and everything came back great. If any of you know of a cheap protein source, let me know, will you?
Post a Comment